A Legacy of Firsts
First Dakota National Bank began in 1872 when it became the first fully chartered bank in the Dakota Territory. Located in Yankton, First Dakota grew steadily as it served the needs of settlers, the river traffic, and the flourishing businesses.
Today, First Dakota National Bank has grown to a network of 18 full service and five loan production offices with assets over $2.45 billion. First Dakota delivers a complete array of banking, investment, and trust services to individuals, businesses, and ag customers.
"The history of the First Dakota National Bank parallels that of the city of Yankton. Its genealogy dates back to December of 1872 when Delegate to Congress Moses K. Armstrong acquired Charter No. 2068, creating Dakota Territory's first fully authorized national bank. Besides Armstrong, who became president and cashier, the original stockholders included Downer T. Bramble, William Miner, Miles T. Woolley, Leonidas M. Purdy, Lycurgas D. and Mark M. Parmer. From that humble beginning, the bank and the Mother City have grown and prospered together."
Yankton: A Pioneer Past, by Robert F. Karolevitz